The Toledo History Museum is located on the second floor of the historic Milmine-Stewart House at 2001 Collingwood Boulevard (Collingwood and Woodruff Avenue) in the heart of Toledo's historic Old West End neighborhood. Built in 1874, this beautiful home was designed by architect James Young for grain merchant George Milmine. According to William D. Speck's book, Toledo - A History in Architecture 1890-1914, the home was described by a contemporary as, "modern American brick with cut stone, and a walnut interior surmounted by a grand observatory 12 feet square." The Milmine home was one of the earliest mansions on what was then called Collingwood Avenue and as a result, earned the nickname "The Mansion".
In 1916, Walter Stewart, treasurer of Willys Overland purchased the home and had it remodeled into an Italian Renaissance-inspired palazzo.
The story of the Milmine-Stewart House took on a new chapter during the great depression when Stewart leased the property to a small group of surgeons who had come together in 1926 to form the nucleus of what was to become the Toledo Clinic. The size of their new quarters, combined with the ever increasing popularity of their practice, allowed for further expansion. By 1969, the Toledo Clinic's medical staff had grown to 28 doctors, and the group relocated to a new facility on Secor Road.
In 1970, the building was donated to the Lucas County Board of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities. It was acquired by its present owner in 2007.
Today, the Milmine-Stewart House is a popular destination for tours and antique shopping at The Old West End Antiques Market on the first floor and the Toledo History Museum on the second floor.